The formal post-residency training of the Section of Infectious Diseases of the University of Santo Tomas Hospital began as a combined Adult and Pediatric Fellowship program in 1986. Drs. Bienvenido Alora, Rosario Angeles Tan-Alora and Remedios Fabra-Coronel were the adult Infectious Diseases mentors while the pediatric aspect was directed by Dr. Estrella Paje-Villar. The section was one of the two pioneer sections established under the Department of Medicine. Aside from the clinical program at the USTH, the trainees also rotated at the US Naval Medical Research Unit (US- NAMRU), then located at San Lazaro compound. However, the succeeding years saw the evolution of the fellowship training program to cater Adult Infectious Diseases only.
In 1995, the first Directly Observed Therapy Short Course (DOTS) clinic in the Philippines was established by Dr. Rodrigo Romulo, under the auspices of the Section of Infectious Diseases. Likewise, the present day PRISM, the fellows-in-training clinicopathologic conference saw its beginnings at the USTH in 2001 under the initiative of Dr. Margarita Torralba-Cayco.
In keeping with the goals of the training program, the USTH Section of Infectious Diseases has and continues to produce well-rounded physicians who are well-versed in the principles and practice of infectious diseases while observing the ideals and values of the Thomasian physician – committed, competent and compassionate. The graduates of the section are humble and well-grounded trailblazers in various provinces in the country where they share their knowledge passion with their patients, colleagues and students and at the same time tirelessly seeking for the truth and knowledge through research.
- Rosario Angeles Tan- Alora, MD, FPCP, FPSMID– PSMID Adviser and Former President
- Remedios Fabra- Coronel, MD, FPCP, FPSMID– Chief, Section of Infectious Diseases USTH, PSMID Adviser and Former President
- Evelina Lagamayo, MD, FPSP, FPSMID– Chief, Section of Microbiology, Department of Clinical Pathology, USTH, PSMID Adviser and Former President
- Margarita Torralba- Cayco, MD, FPCP, FPSMID
- Maria Rhona M. Gatpandan- Bergantin, MD, MSc FPCP, FPSMID – Training Officer
- John S. Delgado, MD, MHPEd, FPCP, FPSMID
- Daisy Ilagan- Tagarda, MD, FPCP, FPSMID
- Allen Yentl Dalmatio- Logatoc, MD, FPCP
- Alexander DS Juson, MD, FPCP
- Rico Paolo R. Garcia, MD
- Kristel Jayne Medina, MD
- Sheena Tan, MD